What is Testosterone?
Check Your T: In the male body, testosterone is the most important sex hormone. Testosterone is responsible for development of male characteristics such as body and facial hair, muscle growth and strength, and a deep voice. Normal levels of testosterone also influence the production of sperm, promote sexual function and promote sex drive.
We now know that some men’s bodies do not make enough testosterone. These men may experience uncomfortable and sometimes distressing symptoms. Researchers estimate that low testosterone (hypogonadism) affects from 2 to 6 million men in the U.S. with only 5% receiving treatment.
If You Have Low Testosterone (Low T)
If you have Low T, the good news is that the condition is treatable. There are several FDA-approved testosterone replacement therapies:
- Different gels are applied on the skin. Depending on the gel, it may be applied by hand, pump or applicator.
- Most injections are administered every 1-2 weeks but some are effective for up to 10 weeks.
- Skin patches are applied to the back, abdomen, upper arm or thigh.
- Pellets are implanted under the skin by a physician.
- Mouth patches — small, putty-like substances — are placed where your gum meets your lip.
Talk to your health care provider about which option may be best for you.
Check Your T with this simple Quiz.