This is a repeating eventnovember, 2024
There’s No NEAM Without ME
November is National Epilepsy Awareness Month (NEAM), and this year, we’re taking big actions!
Our theme is “There is no NEAM without ME”. We chose this theme because November is all about our community — YOU. Without your collaboration and support, we wouldn’t be able to build a seizure safe nation. Together with you, we can raise awareness and funds, educate the general public about the epilepsies and seizures, and push for more research to improve outcomes for you.
During this month, we are highlighting individuals and partners in our community who are using their stories, talents and efforts to help people with epilepsy overcome the challenges that come with their diagnosis.
What’s Your NEAM Action?
Without you, there is no epilepsy awareness, education, advocacy, or research. Let’s continue to be resilient and build awareness for our community.
Let’s take action together and make November the loudest and purple-est National Epilepsy Awareness Month ever for YOU! Be everywhere. Educate everyone. There are many ways you can get involved:
- Use YOUR voice to educate and build community by posting your NEAM action on your social media channels. Use #MyNEAMAction and tell us how you raise awareness in your community. A few ideas to get you started:
- Post a seizure first aid poster at work or school
- Sign up for a free seizure first aid training
- Put on your favorite purple outfit
- Volunteer as an Epilepsy Awareness Ambassador
- Register for a Walk to END EPILEPSY or Fundraise Your Way
- Get creative and come up with other ways to spread awareness
- Make some noise on social media by downloading and sharing these graphics.
- Donate to help grow YOUR Foundation and make a difference by:
Quick Facts About Epilepsy
- 1 in 10 people will have a seizure and 1 in 26 will develop epilepsy during their lifetime.
- There are 3.4 million people living with epilepsy in the United States; 470,000 of them are children.
- Epilepsy is a neurological disorder that can affect any one of us regardless of race, age, or gender.
- Seizures are a symptom of epilepsy. Not all seizures are the same. Many people with epilepsy have more than one type of seizure.
We’re Here for You
Epilepsy affects everyone. Everywhere. Period. Thanks to YOU, we have upped our game to better serve YOU. We:
- Provide programs and education to make a safer place for YOU. From live On-Demand certification courses to 30-minute basic steps training, our seizure first aid program educates the public on approved procedures for recognizing seizures and responding to someone having a seizure.
- Raise awareness and funds to help and serve YOU at the local level. There are 19 regional Walk to END EPILEPSY® events throughout the country focused on raising awareness and at least $1.5M combined to fund research, programs, and access to specialty care for people with epilepsy.
- Advocate for new laws to address issues that affect YOU. Our Seizure Safe Schools nationwide initiative calls for state legislation for school personnel to have appropriate training and policies to support students living with epilepsy and seizures; to date, 19 states have passed legislation.
- Invest in research and innovation to bring new therapies and technology to YOU faster than ever. The Shark Tank Competition is one of several initiatives that advance the development and commercialization of the most promising ideas for the diagnosis and treatment of epilepsy; since 2012, the Epilepsy Foundation has distributed $1.65M to 33 Shark Tank winners.
Help us keep the momentum going this November and participate in our social media campaign, #MyNEAMAction, to spread awareness in your community. Remember to use #NEAM2022: #MyNEAMAction.
Month Long Event (november)(GMT-04:00)
Future Event Times in this Repeating Event Series
november, 2024november, 2025november, 2026november, 2027november, 2028november, 2029november, 2030