November 10, 2015
WASHINGTON - Earlier this month, November 1, 2015, open enrollment for health coverage under the Affordable Care Act (ACA) began. The Health Insurance Marketplace seeks to provide comprehensive health insurance service to improve access, affordability, and quality health care. From now until the end of January, U.S. citizens or those who have a lawful presence in the country can search and compare health insurance plans to find the best coverage for themselves and their families.
Men’s Health Network (MHN) encourages those who are uninsured to submit an application to the marketplace during this open enrollment period to get covered, especially men. While approximately 10.2 million previously uninsured Americans have gained coverage under the ACA, there are about 32 million Americans that are currently uninsured and of that number 57% are men. Going without coverage can have serious health consequences as many men receive less preventive care and/or delayed care which can result in serious illness, requiring even more advanced treatment.
“Health insurance can make a huge difference not only when a medical emergency strikes, but also in accessing key preventive services, regular doctor visits, and mental health services” said Brandon Leonard, Director of Strategic Initiatives for MHN. “We encourage men to explore their options during open enrollment. It’s an important step that you can take to provide some peace of mind for yourself and your family. We also encourage women, who are often the health care leaders in their families, to talk to the men in their lives about the importance of getting covered.”
For more information on the ACA or to submit an application to receive coverage, visit: https://www.healthcare.gov/.
Important dates for 2016 enrollment:
· November 1, 2015: Open Enrollment started — first day you can enroll in a 2016 insurance plan through the Health Insurance Marketplace. Coverage can start as soon as January 1, 2016.
· December 15, 2015: Last day to enroll in or change plans for new coverage to start January 1, 2016.
· January 1, 2016: 2016 coverage starts for those who enroll or change plans by December 15.
· January 15, 2016: Last day to enroll in or change plans for new coverage to start February 1, 2016.
· January 31, 2016: 2016 Open Enrollment ends. Enrollments or changes between January 16 and January 31 take effect March 1, 2016.
Men's Health Network (MHN) is an international non-profit organization whose mission is to reach men, boys, and their families where they live, work, play, and pray with health awareness messages and tools, screening programs, educational materials, advocacy opportunities, and patient navigation.